It's All About Me... Who am I?

My photo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I'm in my mid thirties, I love what I do and I love my family. This blog is essentially me morphing my life into Recruiting. Expect the odd long bow to be drawn. I'm a passionate career Recruiter with more than a decade's experience in the IT Recruitment world, I have things to say.. and with this I will

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tomorrow's leaders today a preview of the future


It's really hard not to write about this... so I won't even try. Warning for those about to read.. bias Dad alert

Today I had the day off work, it's that time of year, children's Christmas concerts, school break ups and the like. I got to do something very rare I think for a career dad.. I got to spend a whole day observing and helping out in my son's 2 Kindergarten sessions (yes we have him booked in 2 different schools for enough contact hours to keep him stimulated). What a blessing... I rarely get a glimpse of him in this world, his own world, his own social engagement, my viewing is normally in my own controlled world, where I have a say in the environment and can control it to a point. What an eye opener, to view my son as a human being, who interacts on his own, has his own social circles and is learning how to cultivate relationships. Humbling is a word that came to mind.

Tomorrow's leaders today, you can see the politics in play... "I'm not your friend today!", or "he's not your friend.. he's my friend.. go away!" you see the suck ups, the bully's, the leaders, the followers, the power struggle if there is multiple people wanting to be the leader or the social groups forming when those opposing leaders pick sides. An uncomplicated microcosm of the world I know.

Do we over complicate things when thinking about what we do and how we do it? I dislike office politics , but really, should I fight it, or just go with it? is it something that is just human nature? These kids pick up on it, with little help from the outside world, it seems innate. And beautiful.

Watching them grow up will be fun.. I've been told it goes very quickly and I need to enjoy it whilst it lasts. It is hard to avoid a little tinge of guilt as you fill in the leave form for the day of just fun at Kinder... but hey.. if you get the chance... TAKE IT, that smile you'll find.. priceless.

1 comment:

  1. Great points Dan. I feel as we "grow up" we lose a little something that makes us unique. We get into the habit of living our lives to society's expectations of us. Feeling guilty for spending time with love ones as an example. But if you give in you miss out on timeless moments like today, in fact you could argue you miss out on life! Break free of other peoples expectations and live life the way you want, it will be more rewarding than any of societies "riches"

    ReplyDelete