It's All About Me... Who am I?

My photo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I'm in my mid thirties, I love what I do and I love my family. This blog is essentially me morphing my life into Recruiting. Expect the odd long bow to be drawn. I'm a passionate career Recruiter with more than a decade's experience in the IT Recruitment world, I have things to say.. and with this I will

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Friends don't let friends do reality TV

A person needs good friends in life. "OK Thank you Captain Obvious!" I hear you say, but hear me out.

These reality TV shows get a big viewing in my house, the "Big Brothers", the "So you think you can dance", "Idol" etc. The first few shows are notorious for the "What the..." moments. You know what I'm talking about, those people who are auditioning, who have no clue.

They profess to have a passion for the specific genre, singing, dancing, or just becoming a wannabe celebrity. The people who have no idea that they have no talent. Not the ones who go on for a joke, a bit of a laugh. I get that. But those with absolutely no talent, or idea that they have no talent (in that specific genre let me ad). They put themselves up for ridicule, with the firm belief that they really are Gods in their chosen field. "Me Mum thinks I am so talented, so I thought I'd give it a go".

They need better people around them. (OK, I'm not bagging Mums. Your Mum has to think you are the best.. It's her job!) Someone to say "No, you aren't that good. Trust me. You'll be embarrassed. You will be on national TV and seen as a joke."

I understand the need to be supportive, to be positive, but seriously friends don't let friends do some of this stuff. I'm lucky, I think if I got my heart set on going on Australia's Next Top Model there would be at least someone in my nearest and dearest who would put up their hand and tell me. "Dan, you can't do that. I know you really want to do it, and you've been practising really hard, and it is you passion. However, there are a couple of things you are lacking. A) YOU ARE NOT A FEMALE, B) YOU AREN'T 6 FOOT TALL C) YOU'VE NEVER WALKED IN HEELS and D) YOU AREN'T THAT PRETTY!" And then I'd hope I'd have the good sense to listen to them.

A person has to know their limitations. Striving for goals is important, and they don't always have to be realistic, you know world peace and all that. The important thing is to have people you know and trust, who will help shape these goals!

1 comment:

  1. YES. When I think about Idol (as someone who took voice lessons for...YEARS) I cry inside. It amazes me that the people who are terrible A.) Do not realize how terrible they are or B.) Don't have friends to say, "mmmm maybe you shouldn't do that." It's terrible & hurtful on top of that because they quite possible become the next American Idol JOKE.

    ReplyDelete